The biggest event in mountain biking kicks off tomorrow, July 21 and runs through Sunday, July 30 here in Whistler – the place where it all began. Whether you’re a spectator, athlete, or regular guest of Whistler Blackcomb, it’s important to be aware of this event and its impact on the resort so that you can enjoy the week to its fullest. Here’s everything you need to know:
- Dates: July 21-30, 2023
- Location: Whistler Village, Whistler Mountain Bike Park
- Website: www.crankworx.com/festival/whistler/
- Social media: Facebook, Instagram
What’s on the Horizon?
- 10 days of Crankworx racing and contests.
- 8 pro events, bringing the best mountain bikers in the world to Whistler Mountain Bike Park.
- 6 Kidsworx competitions for mini-shredders to get in on the action.
- 9 (and counting!) FREE participatory events and athlete signings.
- 2 film and video competitions.
- 11 (and counting!) after-parties.
- 53 exhibitors in the Crankworx Whistler Expo, showcasing the latest and greatest from the mountain bike industry, including Maxxis, ilabb, SRAM, POC, SCOR and Outdoor Research.
- 5 events live and on demand on Red Bull TV.
- 9 hours of live coverage on Red Bull TV.
- The Crankworx Event Office Athlete Center is in the Aava Hotel Whistler – Middle Conference Room.
- Advance online registration for all events is required – full details are online.
- Registration will not be offered onsite – only a check-in desk for pre-registered competitors.
- The Athlete Centre operating hours vary day to day and are listed online.
- Kidsworx races have online pre-registration at Crankworx.com.
If you’re riding in Whistler Mountain Bike Park during the festival, it’s important to be aware of ongoing trail closures during Crankworx. Please check our Trail Status Page before heading out to plan your day accordingly. As a reminder, passes will be revoked for guests who disobey trail closure signs. Please respect closures for your safety and the safety of others.
Lower Whistler Mountain Events
SCOR Air DH Whistler – Tuesday, July 25
How to watch: Spectators have the option to watch this event from Skier’s Plaza or to hike up the mountain to watch beside the fences.
Boneyard Events (at the Base of Whistler Mountain)
1.) Ultimate Pump Track Challenge – Wednesday, July 26
2.) Crankworx Whistler Dual Slalom – Thursday, July 27
3.) Outdoor Research Speed & Style – Friday, July 28
4.) Red Bull Joyride – Saturday, July 29
How to watch: Guests can access these events on foot via the designated walking path from the base of the bike park.
Whistler Mountain Bike Park Events
1.) Crankworx Whistler Adaptive DH – Monday, July 24
2.) Official Whip-Off World Championships presented by POC – Thursday, July 27
3.) Canadian Open Enduro – Sunday, July 30
How to watch: Spectators with a bike and a Whistler Bike Park lift ticket can watch by riding down adjacent trails to view races. Spectators without a bike can watch the finish line in Skier’s Plaza. For the Official Whip-Off World Championships presented by POC, spectators without a bike can walk up on foot via the designated walking path from the base of Whistler Mountain Bike Park (Skier’s Plaza).
1.) RockShox Canadian Open DH – Sunday, July 23
How to watch: Spectators with a bike and a Whistler Bike Park lift ticket can watch by riding down adjacent trails to view this race. Spectators without a bike can watch the finish line at the Timing Flats above Creekside. Spectators who are walking up from Creekside base should follow the marked route up Olympic path, skiers right, to Wolverine Crescent. From here, follow the mountain road to the Timing Flats. A public shuttle will also be operating to the Timing Flats from the front of Legends – parking is available across the street.
This event will take place on 1199, the new downhill track inspired by late Canadian downhill legend, Stevie Smith. Featuring boulder fields, rock gardens, old growth trees, cliffs, and beautiful, fast-rolling dirt– this is one gnarly track you truly have to see to appreciate. Check out the promo video below.
Whistler Olympic Plaza Events
1.) Deep Summer Photo Challenge – Tuesday, July 25
2.) Dirt Diaries film contest – Thursday, July 27
How to watch: Free spectators’ viewing at Whistler Olympic Plaza. A free bike valet is available to store bikes for these events.
Be sure to check the RMOW parking site for the location of all parking lots in Whistler – Parking Map: Parking Map
Village: Throughout the festival, Lots 1, 3, 4, 5 will be available for paid parking and are the best options for direct access to the Village and the viewing area for events in the Fitz Zone. We recommend that anyone with mobility issues and/or children in strollers use these lots. Lots 6-7 at Base II will also be available for free parking.
Creekside: Creekside Day Lot will be available for free parking and is the best option for guests hiking up to attend the RockShox Canadian Open DH event on Sunday, July 23.
Please note, Lot 2 will be closed for the festival (July 19-30), as it will be home to the Crankworx Tech and Demo Zones. Lot 8 will continue to be closed for summer construction staging.
We’d also like to inform guests parking in Lots 6-7 that Excalibur Gondola will be undergoing maintenance and will not be operating at this time. Given this, we will have two alternative options for guests to get to/from these Lots:
Option 1 – Bus Shuttles (July 29 only for Joyride)
– We will provide free buses running from Lot 6 to the Bus Loop.
– Anyone parking in Lot 7 will have to walk to Lot 6.
Option 2 – Walking
– Village Run Trail to/from Lot 6.
– Ascent Trail to/from Lot 6 (easiest walking route).
– There will be signage directing guests to the walking paths.
If you’re planning to visit the resort for our 360 Sightseeing Experience, please remember that uploading is limited to Blackcomb Gondola in Whistler’s Upper Village. Tickets are available for purchase at Guest Services here. Once up top, sightseers can cross the PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola for access to Whistler Mountain and Peak Express. Downloading is available to sightseers on Whistler.
As always, be sure to follow us on social media for more information. Thanks for choosing Whistler Blackcomb and Crankworx – have fun out there!